[lit-ideas] Re: Europe (Re: Re: Dutch support killer of van Gogh)

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 03:11:04 -0800 (PST)

A brief reply, I have eight stiches in my left
forefinger due to a bread cutting mishap. Even worse,
my wife told me not cut it like that well before...

--- Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Teemu: And if we must post right-wing rants, how
> about a good
> one from Theodore Dalrymple?
>
> Didn't realize this guy was so right-wing. His
> _Life at the Bottom_, which is praised by moderate
> right wingers like George Will, seems to reach the
> same conclusion as Oscar Lewis, on a "culture" of
> poverty. The difference is that he blames the
> culture of poverty on the intelligentsia.

Dalrymple (or Davies) is a cultural conservative, and
definitely right-wing. I doubt he really has that much
in common with American Right though. I like him
because he writes well and in between tantrums is
devastatingly effective critic of popular nonsense,
precisely unlike George Will I have to add.

As for the intelligentsia, I applaud D. for ripping
apart the self-serving foolishness of psychobabble or
pop-multiculturalism, but I've never really understood
his insistence on attacking its supposed intellectual
origins. For example see "Multiculturalism Starts
Losing Its Luster",
http://www.city-journal.org/html/14_3_oh_to_be.html

The problem here is the same as with vilifying
geneticists for the idiocies of social Darwinism
rampant in popular economics for example. Its the
removing of all qualifications and reservations
typical of science, that is dumbing down to fit a
particular agenda that is the problem, not the science
itself.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland