[lit-ideas] Re: Europe (Re: Re: Dutch support killer of van Gogh)

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:43:38 -0000

I forgot to address this

JM>I find our discussion so far marred by the assumption
JM>that we can pass
judgment on whether an arranged marriage is a good or bad thing.
JM>Surely the essential point here is whether the individuals most
JM>directly concerned, the bride and groom, have the right, as
JM>individuals, to reject their parents' arrangements.

My problem with this is that where arranged marriages are the norm,
the bride and groom will be inclined (I'd have said) to feel they must
accept the
arrangements.  (The few people I've known who rejected them broke
with their parents.)

Also a system of arranged marriages is a system of constrained choice.

Judy Evans, Cardiff