[lit-ideas] Re: Europe (Re: Re: Dutch support killer of van Gogh)

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:48:31 -0500

Judy: Also, I see no easy way to make arranged marriages illegal.

Yes. I've already mentioned I have a doctor friend working in a local hospital. She told me about many cases of Indian physicians in residency, working toward USMLE certification here in the US, who have arranged marriages.

"What would you do if you feel in love?" my friend asked a female doctor.
"Love? Oh my husband would kill me if I fell in love!" she replied.

Besides arranged marriages, these physicians bring all kinds of bizarre cultural baggage here. For example, in large groups--and in the past two years there were an unusually large group of Indians accepted at the hospital--the newly arrived Indians try to set up caste systems among the physicians in the hospital. Higher-caste Indian residents will browbeat the lower caste residents and try to make them perform a larger share of the ordinary work. Female residents are expected to work for the male residents, usw.

Also (and perhaps more troubling) there is a different attitude toward cleanliness and personal hygiene. Gray, greasy lab coats, doctors who haven't showered or brushed their teeth in weeks, septic junkies in ER even complaining that their doctors stink--this situation becoming so widespread that the hospital administration had to intervene and DEMAND standards of personal cleanliness for the physicians. For this is truly an area where clinical requirements overrule any cultural attitude toward personal appearance.

By the end of third-year residency, this population of doctors were either failing the program, returning to India, or had accommodated themselves to the US standards. And among the population who have completed their training and established employment, the obvious differences are null.