[lit-ideas] Re: Europe (Re: Re: Dutch support killer of van Gogh)

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:02:56 -0500

JM: I find our discussion so far marred by the assumption that we can pass
judgment on whether an arranged marriage is a good or bad thing.

"In the West people marry who they love.
In the East people love who they marry."

(Perry Peteia)

OR more commonly,

"if you can't be with the one you love, honey, love the one you're with"

(Anna Gnorisis)

This brings me to Judy's question about legal sanctions. Surely the
most appropriate ones are

(1) laws prohibiting marriage except by consenting adults, with the
age of adulthood equal to that at which other adult rights, to vote,
to drink, to serve in the military, etc., are assumed.

Except... those laws vary greatly. You can drive at 15 some places where you can vote at 18 and not drink until 21. What should the arbitrary age of marriage be? I say 35 and not until you pass a subservience and compromise test. It would solve a LOT of problems.

anti-arrangement

_________________ [insert pithy quote here] Paul Stone pas@xxxxxxxx Leamington, ON. Canada