[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 01:33:08 -0800

I think your "betrayal" emphasis, requiring the reading of Bush's mind, off
base.  He may be mistaken, but I don't believe he is betraying the
fundamental principle of free speech.  We have wrestled with this issue here
on Lit-Ideas and I'm sure they have wrestled with it in the White House.
Several people on Lit-Ideas have come to the same conclusion as Bush's.  Are
they betraying the fundamental principle of free speech?

I agree with the Danish position because I think that the cartoons are in
the main stream of Western humor.  The Islamist/Muslim demands seem
unreasonable to me and I am inclined to stand up to them.  However, I have
seen other arguments and can understand them.  People who don't want their
own religion maligned feel sympathy for the Muslims.  However, the Christian
religion has been made fun of in cartoons and Christians have not responded
like Muslims; so we aren't quite talking about the same thing.

We must ask whether it is ever justified to burn embassies and kill people
when we are offended.  If the answer is no then we should not be
sympathizing with the Muslims on this.  It is almost as though they are
having a collective tantrum. One wants to give them a "time out" and send
them to their room.

Lawrence.

By coincidence, Geary has made himself a parallel.  He was offensive in the