[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:11:44 -0500

David: If I call you an
asshole it's not up to me to decide how offended you ought to feel. If you
tell me you're offended, I should believe you.

Eric: And it shouldn't matter. You have a right to your opinion. If it's a stupid opinion, I can dismiss it and hope you will learn better. If your opinion has truth in it, maybe it will make me consider that I have been an asshole and reform.

In either case, it's not up to either of us to censor this kind of speech. It is an insult to all who have suffered to give us the right to free expression.