[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: dsavory@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:20:43 -0800

> Eric: Sure there is. By privileging the offense to
> Muslims, you ignore the offense to those who value
> free expression, and wish to practice it in their
> own countries.

"Freedom of speech" is a misdirection argument, the rhetroical equivalent of a
magician giving you the wrong hand to look at. I have the freedom to walk up
to you and call you an asshole but I would have to be an insufferable idiot to
exercise that right without a really good reason.

By the way, an informal poll of two Muslims I work with told me they are upset
about the cartoons because there was no reason for them: they served no
purpose.

> And David Savory's "nigger" comparison is not apt.
>   The drawings weren't "hate speech."  They were
> devoid of ethnic/racial slurs.

That's not for you to decide. If the recipient of the slur calls it a slur
then you have a problem to deal with as if it were a slur. If I call you an
asshole it's not up to me to decide how offended you ought to feel. If you
tell me you're offended, I should believe you.

And you should believe me when I say I will say no more on this subject.

David Savory
Vancouver

David Savory