[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 23:08:39 EST

<<But  it sounds like the other side was sporting for a fight too in the
guise  of free speech. >>

I don't believe it was "the other side"....  NPR did a report  yesterday or
today which said that the cartoon had originally been printed in  September,
that an Imam in Denmark had taken offense and contacted the PM to ask  for an
apology, the PM refused, and the Imam had distributed hundreds of copies
around
the Arab world ..... again, I find the timing not entirely coincidental  w/
the current situation in Iran.  It seems clear to me that the Imam,  followed
by various ME countries, are inflaming the situation to suit their  agendas.
THEY are spoiling for the fight!

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Link to
"Mohammed" cartoons  Date: 2/8/06 9:29:59 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I doubt it and I think there would be  quite the uproar as well.  I'm not
suggesting that the behavior was  acceptable.  It was a gross overreaction.
But
it sounds like the  other side was sporting for a fight too in the guise of
free speech.   Nobody was acting civilized.  When someone overreacts, it's
guaranteed that  there are deep issues going on.  Shame and hostility are not
the
way to  deal with deep issues.  Wouldn't it have been better, even far  better,
if the Muslims were treated with respect, their religion treated  with
respect?  Then they would learn what respect is by receiving it and
experiencing
it, and over time they would see first hand how deficient their own
intolerance
is.  We give what we have.  If they get respect and  tolerance, they can give
respect and tolerance.  Instead, they learned that  Denmark is filled with
hostile people.  What do you do w hen you experience  hostility?  You hunker
down and get hostile.  Denmark flew its colors  as no better than anybody else,
including the Muslims.