[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:38:38 -0500

Irene:

Did Jews not know what they were getting into
when they situated Israel in Palestine?  Who did they think lived there?

Jews are semitic, Irene, just as Arabs are. Are you aware of that? The Middle East is where Jews have lived for 5000 years. And after the Holocaust that was a safe place for many Jews spread out across Europe to gravitate towards. God knows, even America under FDR wasn't welcoming. They didn't go there for Spring vacation. Abraham didn't decide to pull up his roots in New Jersey and settle in Tel Aviv. Both Arabs and Jews have lived there for centuries. Rarely comfortably, but side by side.

Stan Spiegel
Portland, Maine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Stan Spiegel <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2/8/2006 9:57:55 PM

J.E. Who, here, has sought to suggest there are no anti-Jewish cartoons
in
the Muslim world?
Who, here, is unaware of the hate literature there?   Why should you
imagine
for one moment even that we (who regard the cartoons as offensive) think
part of the Muslim response (the response of part of the Muslim world)
should not be criticised?  To think we say or believe that they are both
exempt from criticism and are the only ones exempt from criticism is,
well,
strange.

S.S. When David Savory  tells us: If you knew anything about Islam
you'd know you don't draw pictures of Muhammad. Period.-- then I guess
I'm
strange to take offense. I'm strange when I'm asked to be sensitive to
muslim feelings when they're free to draw disgusting pictures of Jews.
David's self-righteousness about muslim sensitivities leaves me pretty
disgusted. This whole discussion shows too much sensitivity to Muslims
(and
insensitivity to Jews.) That you have some hidden awareness of the hatred
they show -- and feel justified in showing again and again -- is
irrelevant.
We're not talking about "hate literature." We're talking about education.
The systematic education of muslim children. That's different from hate
literature, Judy.

The muslim point of view is so toxic (and uncompromisingly dangerous)
there
are virtually no Jews that live in the 22 Arab nations that surround and
hope to annihilate Israel.

And we should be sensitive to Muslims who move to Denmark and other
Western
societies? Why are they living there instead of in Syria and Saudi
Arabia,
in Lebanon and Kuwait? They moved there predictably because there's more
hope and promise of a better life. In exchange for that better life, they
needed to learn the values of an open society. That included freedom of
speech.

If you read the interconnected articles attached to those cartoons, you'd
know that muslims in Denmark expected the govt to apologize to them.
Denmark
refused! That wouldn't have happened in England or America, I think.
Their
refusal to apologize underlined the value of freedom of speech. That
newspaper had
the right to criticize muslims (which the cartoons of Muhammed
reflected.)
It needed to be said out loud.

Have you noticed how many newspapers in America have shown those
cartoons?
(None) Until I showed them, how many of you even knew what they looked
like?
That the uproar muslims created intimidated American newspapers into
silence
(not showing the cartoons is silence) is troubling. Are we to treat
Muslims
in Western societies different from any other ethnic (not religious)
group
in order to avoid bloodshed?

Stan Spiegel
Portland, ME