[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 22:23:52 +0000 (GMT)

David Savory wrote:

DS>Way to completely miss the point Stan. If you knew
anything about
Islam you'd
>know you don't draw pictures of Muhammad. Period.

P. Lundbech "replied"

>Yeah, and Hindus don't eat cows, because it's
sacrilegious. If
>you knew anything about Hinduism you'd know you don't
eat cows.
Period.

>There'll be an awful lot of taboos in the world if
all religions
>were to have it their way about what we can and
cannot do.

to that alleged reply to David Savory I replied

JE>  >>I think you miss the point, which concerns
> offence.

Nothing there about privileging offence.

I leave this thread (I have had quite enough of it, on
another list as well...) with news of another Free
Speech Cause Celebre for you guys:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,1705297,00.html

Judy Evans, Cardiff