[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: P.H.Lundbech <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 08:40:45 +0100

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 23:22:12 -0800, "Lawrence Helm"
<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>The official position from the White House is that the U.S. condemns
>the cartoons but condemns the violence as well.

At first they (including one former president) condemned the
cartoons trying to use what they then thought was a small
relatively unimportant matter to gain a little much needed
goodwill from the arabs.

Then it blew up in their face when embassies were set on fire and
the US government suddenly found they were supporting the
terroist regime in Syria. Then suddenly free speech seemed
important once again...

It has nothing to do with the U.S. as "a voice of moderation".
They were willing to betray a fundamental principle of our way of
life for the benefit of some short-term diplomatic gains.

P. H. Lundbech
Odense, DK