[iyonix-support] Re: maplin/seagate usb hard drive

  • From: Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:03:56 +0100

On 25 Jul 2006  "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 25 Jul 2006 Jeremy C B Nicoll <Jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used the standalone external 300GB USB hard drive, made by
>> Seagate, that Maplin are currently selling for - I think - around ukp
>> 100 with an Iyonix?
>>
>> Any problems?   Any recommendations for any similar products?
>
> 1) Discs in FAT format are limited to 2GB
> 2) Discs in Filecore format are limited to 256GB,
>    but may not work over 128GB over USB.
>
> I would not recommend such a device even if it worked. Instead look at cheap
> network attached drives, which do not have size limitations when accessed via
> LanmamFS (SMB) or Sunfish (NFS), and are far quicker than USB 2.

I'm not sure whether my setup is similar to the setup that druck
refers to; I think not, but it works excellently for me.

I have an Iyo networked with a Windows XP laptop, and I bought an
external 60GB USB hard drive. As long as I remember to plug the
external hard drive into the laptop before switching it on, it's seen
as a share under LanMan98, and file transfers for backups to this are
amazingly fast (thanks to Jan-Jaap for DirSync, BTW). I haven't yet
found any faults with these backups, and can run apps on the Iyo
direct from the USB drive. This was also has the advantage that I can
restore the backups to VRPC if anything happens to the Iyo.

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \   /                 \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
Anne     \ / __            __  \                              England.