[iyonix-support] Re: maplin/seagate usb hard drive

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:16:11 +0100

On 25 Jul 2006 Jeremy C B Nicoll <Jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Has anyone used the standalone external 300GB USB hard drive, made by
> Seagate, that Maplin are currently selling for - I think - around ukp
> 100 with an Iyonix?
>
> Any problems?   Any recommendations for any similar products?

1) Discs in FAT format are limited to 2GB
2) Discs in Filecore format are limited to 256GB,
   but may not work over 128GB over USB.

I would not recommend such a device even if it worked. Instead look at cheap
network attached drives, which do not have size limitations when accessed via
LanmamFS (SMB) or Sunfish (NFS), and are far quicker than USB 2.

Cheers
---Dave

  David J. Ruck    Phone: +44- (0)7974 108301    Email: druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx