[iyonix-support] Occasional Machine Freezes

  • From: Martin <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:27:22 +0100

[This was originally reported by me as part of the Lazy Task Swapping
thread as Message-ID: <4e399b534aMartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>]

Occasionally (perhaps once a week or so) the machine locks up, and with
an Alt-Break usually BookMaker is listed, so I stop it and all is well
again, even if I then restart BookMaker. Very occasionally the same
happens but it is NOT BookMaker, but again the app can be stopped and
restarted.

My observations so far include:

- I have not managed to note anything consistent about when it happens.
Sometimes it has happened when no-one has been using the machine for some
time.
- I have no real reason to suspect BookMaker - my feeling is that is is
victim rather than culprit.

On the original thread some other users said they had experienced similar
problems.

Since then, in an attempt to narrow down the problem and cause, I have...

1.  Written a small Basic test program which just polls and accesses
random bits of application memory, in an attempt at provoking the
problem. It *HAS* frozen the machine, but only once in days of running
the program! However, this helps to absolve BookMaker.

2.  Changed Reporter so it now has an experimental facility for capturing
information about a task which is interrupted by using Alt-Break.

The information collected at the moment is ...
    - SVC Stack when Watchdog Error
    - Task Registers at last Poll
    - Registers at Alt-Break

Information which COULD be added includes ...
    - List of Environment Handlers for Task
    - Low Memory Display: could dump some of the memory from 0 to &8000
    - Page Table Display: could display part of L1PT and/or L2PT.
    - any other useful information?

If anyone has experienced similar problems, and would like to help
identify the cause by running either the test program and/or the Beta
enhanced Reporter, please let me know. They should be running ROv5.11.

Thanks

Martin

--
Martin Avison      using a British Iyonix running RISC OS 5
                   and the Pluto mail and newsreader