[iyonix-support] EtherK not starting up reliably

  • From: Peter Bell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:01:10 +0100

My Iyo has been running perfectly well for over three and a half years.

In the last week, the ethernet interface has been failing to start up
properly in the morning when I power the machine up - no lights on the
switch (a Netgear Gigabit device), and no connectivity (mail fetch or
ping).

I get the following from EKInfo when the system is in this state:

: *ekinfo
: EtherK device driver for Intel PRO/1000 network controllers, version 0.19
: DCI Version 4.05
: Supported network cards detected: 1
:
: Unit 0 (location: Motherboard)
:   Ethernet address 00:09:95:00:11:00
:   Link is up; 1000 Mbps Full Duplex
:   Controller mode: Multicast, reject frames with errors
:
:   Frame types claimed:
:     Ethernet 0800    (multicast)   handler=(FC2E6610,FB407414)
:     Ethernet 0806    (normal)      handler=(FC2E6610,FB407414)
:     Ethernet 8035    (normal)      handler=(FC2E6610,FB407414)
:
:   Hardware statistics summary:
:     TX frames 169    : RX frames 302
:     TX bytes  19,088 : RX bytes  44,649
:     TX errors 0      : RX errors 0
:
:   Driver statistics (only non-zero statistics are reported):
:     Frames received: 302
:     Unwanted frames: 27

I'm puzzled at the hardware statistics, showing both TX and RX activity,
when I appear to have no connectivity.

A *rmreinit etherk gets everything up and running.

Is this a sign of the psu starting to go out of spec?

or...

Is it a sign of a problem with the switch?  Although all other
ports appear to be working okay, perhaps I should try rebooting that
next time.

--
Peter Bell - peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx