[iyonix-support] Re: EtherK not starting up reliably

  • From: James Byrne <jbyrne@xxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 02:46:37 +0100

Peter Bell wrote:
> My Iyo has been running perfectly well for over three and a half years.
>
> In the last week, the ethernet interface has been failing to start up
> properly in the morning when I power the machine up - no lights on the
> switch (a Netgear Gigabit device), and no connectivity (mail fetch or
> ping).
>
> I get the following from EKInfo when the system is in this state:
>
> : *ekinfo
> : EtherK device driver for Intel PRO/1000 network controllers, version 0.19
> : DCI Version 4.05
> : Supported network cards detected: 1
> :
> : Unit 0 (location: Motherboard)
> :   Ethernet address 00:09:95:00:11:00
> :   Link is up; 1000 Mbps Full Duplex
> :   Controller mode: Multicast, reject frames with errors
> :
> :   Frame types claimed:
> :     Ethernet 0800    (multicast)   handler=(FC2E6610,FB407414)
> :     Ethernet 0806    (normal)      handler=(FC2E6610,FB407414)
> :     Ethernet 8035    (normal)      handler=(FC2E6610,FB407414)
> :
> :   Hardware statistics summary:
> :     TX frames 169    : RX frames 302
> :     TX bytes  19,088 : RX bytes  44,649
> :     TX errors 0      : RX errors 0
> :
> :   Driver statistics (only non-zero statistics are reported):
> :     Frames received: 302
> :     Unwanted frames: 27
>
> I'm puzzled at the hardware statistics, showing both TX and RX activity,
> when I appear to have no connectivity.
>
> A *rmreinit etherk gets everything up and running.
>
> Is this a sign of the psu starting to go out of spec?

Unlikely, the symptom you get in that case is that EtherK fails to
detect the Ethernet chip on the motherboard, which is not happening in
this case.

> or...
>
> Is it a sign of a problem with the switch?  Although all other
> ports appear to be working okay, perhaps I should try rebooting that
> next time.

Yes, probably a good idea to try resetting the switch. The EtherK output
in your mail shows that as far as EtherK is concerned everything is OK.
The link is up, it's been detected as 1000BaseT, and the driver is
transmitting and receiving packets with no errors.

As well as resetting the switch, I'd suggest swapping the Ethernet cable
in case it's faulty - sometimes it's the simple things that go wrong. If
you're convinced that the switch and cable are OK, try "*EKInfo -v" and
look at some of the more obscure statistics to see if they give any
hints of something amiss - the EtherK user guide file (which should be
somewhere on your hard disc) explains what they mean (to an extent). If
that doesn't get you anywhere, try forcing the link speed to 100M and
see if that helps.

James