[iyonix-support] Re: EtherK not starting up reliably

  • From: Peter Bell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:16:07 +0100

In message <c4637b4e4e.jb@xxxxxxxxxx>
          jb <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Peter
>
> In message <44CC0F7D.6070300@xxxxxxx>
>           James Byrne <jbyrne@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Peter Bell wrote:
> > > My Iyo has been running perfectly well for over three and a half years.
> > >
> > > In the last week, the ethernet interface has been failing to start up
> > > properly in the morning when I power the machine up - no lights on the
> > > switch (a Netgear Gigabit device), and no connectivity (mail fetch or
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > ping).
> > >
> > > I get the following from EKInfo when the system is in this state:
> > >
> > > : *ekinfo
> > > : EtherK device driver for Intel PRO/1000 network controllers, version
> > > 0.19
> > > : DCI Version 4.05
> > > : Supported network cards detected: 1
> > > :
> > > : Unit 0 (location: Motherboard)
> > > :   Ethernet address 00:09:95:00:11:00
> > > :   Link is up; 1000 Mbps Full Duplex
>
> is your switch a gigabit one?

It is indeed!  See above.

 [Snip]

> > > A *rmreinit etherk gets everything up and running.
>
> what speed does that then show?

1000Mbps Full Duplex

> and also, as James asked, what effect does resetting the switch or
> disconnecting/reconnecting the network cable have?

Disconnecting/reconnecting the cable appears to have no effect.  Perhaps
I should try plugging into a different port on the switch.  Certainly,
another port on the switch remains connected at Gbit rate.

However, the problem appears to have vanished as suddenly as it arrived.
Having had the problem more or less every other day, it hasn't happened
for over a week now!  The first time it occured was after the machine
had been powered up for over eight hours.  Subsequent occurences were
always apparent immediately from power up.

> > > Is this a sign of the psu starting to go out of spec?
>
> I also think unlikely.. but a quick check of the psu with a dmm might
> be illuminationg .. basically a 5v rail (red to black on a spare hdd
> connector) which shows less than 5.04v would suggest a power supply
> that is no longer behaving as it did when shipped.

Okay - fault not currently in evidence, but the 5V reading is 5.08V.
What is the typical/lowest reading you would expect to see on new
device?

 [Snip]

--
Peter Bell - peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx