[openbeos] Re: On the new Haiku website

  • From: Miguel Zúñiga <mzuniga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 00:19:21 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)"
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 6:05 PM

# Separation of official and community maintained content

There is discussion on the list about what to do with forums and community content. Should they be under the haiku-os.org umbrella? Or is it better if they are moved to a different (and distinctive) domain? This questions probably arrive from the concept of making a clear distinction between officially sanctioned information and community maintained content

On the official side, the Documentation Team is kind of... on stand by.
I am waiting for two years for the official doc-team, but since the Wiki came
i had the chance to "publish" some text i wrote, and get some
feedback. I realize i am not a big programmer, but it is the more "official"
channel available for interacting and giving opinions.

Creative use of UI and web design combined with the use of subdomains would be enough to provide the distinction that is needed between the two types of content. I would like to discuss this with DarkWyrm to see if we can contribute to the design of the new website to cope with this.

I vote for subdomains. It would be easier to review and correct the "unofficial"
content than begin all over again from scratch. Having at least something
to compare with for the final documentation, when it is time to do it. With a
subdomain, there will be a feeling of "unofficial but accepted", and Drupal
provides that possibility...

# Future vs. History

It is necessary to remember the history, but the future has to be the focus.

# Being realistic about resources
It is better to have a site that, while modest, it can be fully maintained, is always up-to-date and provides a consistent message and information that is useful to the audience that we are targeting...

I will go for the Easy to maintain. But we have to begin with something. As far as i see it, the Wiki has been a motivation for me to write some things. But the new site has stopped me from continuing, since i do not anymore if that content will be even considerated. Call the Haiku User Guide Approach whatever you want, but i would like to think that there is people who feel good when there is a constant progress. I feel good when i found that more people corrects and reviews what i wrote. That is the power of the community.

Thank you for reading this. Be well.

Miguel Zúñiga