[openbeos] Re: On the new Haiku website

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:35:43 +0200 CEST

"Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 8/16/06, Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > # Future vs. History
[...]
> > Maybe it's me, but among BeOS fans I see a marked tendency to focus
> > on
> > the historic background of the OS. For example, the "What is Haiku"
> > introduction on the new website
> > (http://plonetest.haiku-os.org/introduction) dedicates about 30% to
> > try
> > to describe what Haiku is (one sentence), and then the remaining
> > a historic background.
> One thing I see that is often criticized is that "Haiku is re-
> creating
> technology from the 90s" (which of course then turns into the whole
> discussion about Linux being a re-creation of technology from the
> 60s/70s, etc. and the flamefest begins).
>
> I think that part of the "Introduction" should point out that not
> only
> is it re-creating a great operating system - but also solving many of
> the problems that BeOS R5 had - including support for newer hardware
> and targeting a more scalable architecture.

You put that nicely - it's a thin line between showing where we're
coming from (an OS from the 90s), and what we're actually trying to do
(a modern and great desktop experience). We need to express that
clearly, even though the scope of R1 is definitely limited in this
regard, even though it will be a great step forward when compared to
BeOS R5.

> Finally, maybe there should be a "Learn More" link taking the user to
> an "extended history" of Haiku/BeOS/etc. for those who want the full
> scoop (or maybe it becomes part of the FAQ?)

I think the "learn more" link would be an excellent place to put the
full history to.

Bye,
   Axel.