[openbeos] Re: On the new Haiku website

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:11:43 +0200

Am 23.08.2006 um 11:39 schrieb Mikael Jansson (mailing lists):

Which is why I'd prefer something like reStructuredText for writing
content that's mostly composed of text. It's a lot easier on the
fingers (no closing tags), and the eyes (looks similar to the output).

DocBook has already been agreed by the existing, active developers as the standard format for technical documentation. Axel has pointed out that there has been considerable discussion on this in the past and that the matter is now closed.

As you know, I share your dislike for all things XML but seeing as you can generate DocBook XML from your ReST (and presumably vice- versa) I don't see what the problem is. François has pointed out the possibility of using Emacs under BeOS and writing an Extension for Pe is probably also fairly straightforward. Of course, you might want to take up an ReST <-> DocBook converter for the website for any copy editors who might work on the documentation. Apparently the new ElementTree module makes handling XML a lot easier and faster.

Charlie