[openbeos] Re: On the new Haiku website

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:39:17 +0200 CEST

"Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > > Indeed, I'd chose Pe for that ;-)
> > Gah!  I'm not sure my point came across, so I'll state it clearly:
> > XML
> > isn't made for humans to edit.
>
> Actually, it specifically is, but you're right of course :-)
> However, I really use Pe for that...
> (there isn't a decent XML/DocBook editor for BeOS, right?)

Don't think so, no..

I think it's good to widen one's horizons, so please don't take this is
a "DocBook sucks! You can only use ReStructuredText!!" -- I'm just
putting forth my own experiences in working with RST.

Which is why I'd prefer something like reStructuredText for writing
content that's mostly composed of text. It's a lot easier on the
fingers (no closing tags), and the eyes (looks similar to the output).

Two examples of ReStructuredText:

1. Short article/note with HTML and LaTeX (-> PDF) output:

    http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~tic/java-python-typing.html
    http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~tic/java-python-typing.pdf

    Source: http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~tic/java-python-typing.txt

2. Brief introduction to AOP with S5 output:

    http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~tic/aop/talk.html

    Source: http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~tic/aop/talk.txt

The text/x-rst parser generates a DOM which is then flattened by the
writers, such as rst2html, rst2latex, rst2s5.  Furthermore, there is
also a ReStructuredText parser for the Trac wiki
<http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/WikiRestructuredText>.

Regards,
-- Mikael