[openbeos] Re: On the new Haiku website

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:30:01 +0200

Am 23.08.2006 um 20:10 schrieb Niels Reedijk:

I'm not interested on discussing it again, but I'm still curious to
the arguments for docbook. Mainly because I think it shows what the
ideas on the direction and scope of the developer documentation are.
It would give us a good overview of the reason for the choice so that
people that want to help out can decide whether they 'fit' in that
vision.

Well, it's a clearly defined, open standard. It's been accepted by lots of different types of developers and there are lots of tools (editors, generators and storages) for working with it.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-docbk.html

The notion of flexibility is probably misleading as lots of the alternatives can be considered to be as flexible. I think it's harder to argue against standard and the existence of tools for creating and distributing the documentation.

Asking whether people "fit in" with this seems somewhat strange as any developer should be able to document their work using a standard format required on a project. What kind of developer refuses to work on a project because of the format chosen for documentation?

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20