[openbeos] Re: On the new Haiku website

  • From: "Curtis Wanner" <katisu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:04:46 -0400

Axel wrote:
> > Maybe it's me, but among BeOS fans I see a marked tendency to focus

>You put that nicely - it's a thin line between showing where we're
>coming from (an OS from the 90s), and what we're actually trying to
>do (a modern and great desktop experience). We need to express that
>clearly, even though the scope of R1 is definitely limited in this
>regard, even though it will be a great step forward when compared to BeOS
R5.

My impression is that it is less about coming from BeOS itself then its
concepts.  The goal of the Haiku project is taking a forward thinking OS
concept and modernizing it.  Actually, BeOS did the same thing with concepts
originating from XINU "XINU is not UNIX" (80s).  So you could argue the
roots even go back to then.

Here is a reference:
http://www.beatjapan.org/mirror/www.be.com/support/qandas/faqs/faq-0131.html

Curtis