[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 10:36:54 +0200

Hi,

On 23.05.2013 09:53, Alexander von Gluck IV wrote:
As David said above, is the applications menu supposed to contain every
application ever installed, or is it supposed to contain the ones you
actually use?

That is exactly the question. And I think the file system layer shows too much other files. So I want an easy to access layer which shows *all* installed applications, just one icon per app. This is what I have always used the Applications menu in BeOS for. For access to frequently used applications, I would be using LaunchBox or a new "Pin to Deskbar" feature in Deskbar itself (replacing LaunchBox).

We also have to think about removing application icons when the application
is uninstalled.  Having applications scattered through a large number of
menu folders means the chance that icons won't be cleaned up on
uninstallation is quite strong. (meaning non-working symlinks)

As previously mentioned, this is not a problem, since the packagefs only creates virtual symlinks which are dynamically generated at boot time from the activated packages.

If you want to have an easy solution.  Have one check box:
"Add a shortcut into the applications menu?"

An easy solution is one where you don't have to be aware of or click a check box at all.

Best regards,
-Stephan