[haiku-development] Re: Laptop HDA audio

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 14:43:11 -0700

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 04:59:48PM -0700, Urias McCullough wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM,  <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > [Even more unfortunately, when I got r44242 running on my own desktop
> > box, it turns out to be useless for me there, too!  As soon as I start
> > feeding the audio chain (auich) with anything, the screen starts to
> > freeze!  Adding a second mixer input locks the whole OS completely!
>
> These regressions need to be documented, and hopefully the source
> identified (via binary-search of revisions between A3 and current).

Yes, I intend to do so.  At the moment, though,I'm a bit foggy as to exactly
what's happening.

On some further probing I found that MediaPlayer still works fine.
It's only my own code (that was also fine under the earlier rev) that
causes the lockup. (:-()  If I go into KDB, I see either the mixer thread
or the auich one is the "running" -- but locked -- thread.

It may be that it's because I have to use Recording Mode to avoid
the increasing latency problem.  Otherwise my code is pretty standard
BSoundPlayer usage.  (Also, I didn't see any lockup on the ZaReason box.
(May not have tried turning off the extra cores, though.  I did for other
tests -- no noticeable effect -- but I didn't know about the lockup problem
then.)

I'll mount a full innvestigation...

> Sounds like it could be an interrupt issue, or it could be related to
> some recently discussed priority inversion issue in the scheduler.

I think it must be something like that.  It has to be a deadlock
somewhere.

        -- Pete --

[BTW, I did get the new rev to boot.  Apparently there's been a change
in the bootloader at some point.  When I used the BootManager from
the new USB-stick to install its MBR on the hard drive, it now works --
and so do the older revs still, thank goodness!  I won't do any more
binary searching on that, whioch was *extremely* painful, taking
several hours for each cycle.  As I said, writing to USB also seems to be
slow...]