[haiku-development] Re: Laptop HDA audio

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 16:34:28 -0700

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 03:26:21PM -0700, Pete Goodeve wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 08:09:34PM -0700, Urias McCullough wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I wouldn't imagine running A3 at this point - so many
> > fixes and improvements have been implemented since then...
>
> Hmm.  OK.  I didn't realize there had been such significant recent
> changes.  I've made a new stick (hrev44242).   Unfortunately the
> changes are so significant that it won't boot on my current machine!!
> (The boot icons appear, but none light up.  Safe mode makes no
> difference.)

Updating the saga, following Urias' suggestion to use AnyBoot, I got
a working stick running r44242 and took it along to ZaReason to try.
Unfortunately the results were just about exactly the same as with the
alpha-3 one I used originally.  Haiku itself runs fine, but the HDA
is unusable.

I'm not sure if I detailed the symptoms before, but what I heard was
mostly crackle and hiss, with the music faintly audible underneath it.
Notably there was a "pulsing" of the noise, at ~5 per sec, I think,
that would continue after I closed the player.  It would go silent
the moment I clicked on the Deskbar or such.  I tried changing the
audio frame rate without noticeable effect.  Seems these symptoms
ought to mean something! (:-))

They were even kind enough to let me actually install Haiku on the
laptop, but it made no difference.

[Even more unfortunately, when I got r44242 running on my own desktop
box, it turns out to be useless for me there, too!  As soon as I start
feeding the audio chain (auich) with anything, the screen starts to
freeze!  Adding a second mixer input locks the whole OS completely!
I tried replacing libmedia.so, the mixer, and the auich driver with
the ones from r42415 that I normally use: made no difference...]

Until a few moments ago, I thought this would be the end of my research
for now, but ZaReason have just emailed me to ask if I want to check out
their new Ivy Bridge laptop coming out in a few weeks!  Anybody know yet
how compatible that is?  I'll head over there Monday or so to try, anyway.

        -- Pete --