[haiku-development] Re: Laptop HDA audio

  • From: Dane Scott - TuneTracker Systems <signalcaster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 07:36:35 -0500

>> I see the pragmatism in your reply, but the audio system on Linux is
>> horrible, I would never build any commercial system with it. I mean
>> Linux couldn't even mix audio streams with Alsa, and PulseAudio has
>> been troublesome since it came out.
>>
>> And I say this as someone who generally likes Linux and uses it a lot
>> in my work.
>>

> I have tried linux for pro audio work, and the base systems are horrifically
> bad, ubuntu, arch etc. I have seen some custom built stuff for studios, but
> thats not anything thats available in the public sphere. It can work, but its
> not comming cheap and it certainly doesn't seem to be available. Jack also
> has its issue playing with api's above it.
>
> Haiku also has superior performance to winxp/7 in terms of latency round trip
> soft mixing. Which is something I imagine TuneTracker has a real need for.

I think we're going to be able to make Haiku work really well for TT.  HDA
sounds great, and it has configurable output jacks that I think will allow us
to not only broadcast out through the main output, but also make additional
outputs available for "preview" playback of audio that shouldn't go out over
the air.  And once we get that capability to work, we'll share it with the
Haiku community so other developers can take advantage of it too.