[haiku-development] Re: Laptop HDA audio

  • From: "X512" <danger_mail@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 13:40:21 +0400

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:41:29 +0100, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> My advice would be to investigate the cost of porting your UI code to
> something like Qt and weigh that up against the cost and probability
> of
> getting Haiku into suitable shape for your customers. It is far easier
> to find people with Qt skills than to find someone capable of fixing
> the
> HDA driver on Haiku. Even when (or if) the HDA driver is fixed, you're
> still lacking touch drivers and you're still running on an alpha OS
> with
> a number of stability problems and occasional freezes (scheduler
> issues). Linux would give you the benefit of a solid underlying
> platform
> with strong hardware support, allowing you to focus on adding real
> value
> for your customers. Qt would also mean you could sell versions for
> Windows and OS X if you wanted a software-only model.
As I read Linux kernel has big schedules issues. Disk IO can block
anything. Linus is a net server OS, not a realtime OS neither soft
realtime nor hard realtime.

wrote:
> A benefit of Qt is there is already a Haiku port, and when Haiku
> matures
> it would be possible to easily switch back to Haiku as an underlying
> OS
> when it starts to win on the key performance metrics (solid media
> performance, stability, ease-of-use).
There are no reason to use Qt in this case becouse there are no BeOS
media kit on Qt. Also Qt port on Haiku has stability bugs.

wrote:
> I'm a massive fan of all you've done for BeOS and Haiku over the
> years
> (I was a regular BeOSRadio listener around 2000) but I'd hate to see
> your business run into difficulty due to the current alpha state of
> Haiku. Obviously no-one knows your business better than you but I
> hope
> at least I provided a little food for thought.
I think that primary task for this project is not a radio itself.
Projects like this move Haiku development forward, new drivers will be
developed, system will be tested in real tasks. Mayble Haiku can't
progress if nobody will use it.