[GeoStL] Re: December 31st, 2010,terracaching will shut down

  • From: "ehamemail" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:56:24 -0600

-
We've been a bit "out of things" the last two years. And I really had no clue how the whole 1000 in a day thing worked. Now I do. It's fascinating really.

I'm sloooooooooowly changing my point of view on these type of caches. Keeping in mind we still have not broken 650 caches in 9 years lol. but I can see a few of the "for" points that I didn't see before.

In that video -- did you all see that road? It looked endless. Beautiful, but endless. I think I know that feeling. Now living in small -town Central Illinois, there's a limitation on access to interesting, creative and entertaining areas. All of the local parks are taken, the conservation areas are few and far between (and taken) and few caches within 40 mile radius are on private property. Many may argue this, but, there's just not a lot of intersting, creative, entertaining and scenic spots among the corn, beans, wheat, plowed fields, gravel roads, and otherwise serene farm scenes etc. that someone without land ownership has access too.

I'm starting to see the Power Trail as shown in that video as an evolution that may especially serve a local community.

I would "assume" that those cachers may have already found all the creative, interesting, entertaining and scenic caches (and everything in between).

Should they stop caching? Obviously they've formed friendships, relationships and a sense of community. Do they ignore that because there's no where for new cache placement or because they are unable to easily travel to new areas?

I'm beginnig to see how "power trail" may have a place. What it could use is a designation symbol on GC.Com.

While we may all like the idea, we can't force a "most people may think this is really dumb" designating icon on cache. Near me, there are a few newer cachers who have enthusiastically populated several guard rails, stop signs and dumpsters. Initially I had that "oh groan" reaction, but, then stepped back and thought, "they ARE new and enthusiastic -- maybe they'll figure it out." Then again, there are a couple of series in local counties that are, essentially, "just" film containers dropped on the population sign. Most are not creatively hidden. Many of the towns are not much more than a wide spot in the road. But, they get us out of the house and exploring our new area.

I think that, until, you have to leave a place like St. Louis and the immediate area, you may not realize how good you got it -- a variety of scenery, challenge, terrain etc.

Nancy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>