[GeoStL] Re: December 31st, 2010,terracaching will shut down

  • From: Andrew Senger <asenger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:50:23 -0600

-
I think you fail to see Mike's point, which is that Jim's idea of a
good cache isn't necessarily my idea (or your idea, or Mike's idea) of
a good cache. The point of the filters is to find caches that meet a
certain criteria that anyone would agree is a good description of the
cache. To add a "lame" criteria would be impossible to judge
objectively.

As someone else mentioned, a rating system would be the best idea.
However, rating systems are flawed, too.

Andrew Senger
asenger@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.yawetag.net
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He's also
postmaster and probably traffic cop, too. All the jobs for sports
referees are probably filled, though." --Lemel Hebert-Williams

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> -
> It may be that he does grasp your point. Perhaps he agrees that he will only
> do the kind that he likes, but the problem is that there is no facility
> provided by GC.COM to differentiate the kind he likes from those that he
> doesn't. For example, there is a puzzle type, and he can successfully
> identify those. There is no "lame" tag that he can use to filter out the
> ones that are what he considers lame. A difficulty of 1 could apply to a
> good cache in the woods as well as a lamp post cache, so it isn't a very
> good indicator.
>
> I do see that finding a category that doesn't seem demeaning to the numbers
> people might be difficult. But then again, it may be easier for them if they
> can identify the easy numbers oriented caches.
>
> Anyway, I don't mean to speak for you Jim, but am I correct in my
> assessment. Sometimes just saying it differently might help things along.

from this

 Missouri Geocachers Calendar --->