[gameprogrammer] Re: OpenGL reality check.

  • From: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 05:38:24 -0600

On 12/19/05, Kevin Fields <drunkendruid@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you were Microsoft, trying to further your own graphics API, wouldn't you
> view supporting newer versions of a competing graphics API as a drain of
> time and resources?

MS has virtually unlimited resources. I think they do pretty much
whatever they want to do. They have so much cash they are giving it
back to the shareholders because they do not know what to do with it.
Have them write me a big check, and I will hire Bob and we will get it
done. :)

> After all, why spend time working on the competing API,
> when that could be better spent advancing or fixing your own? That's what I
> meant. Besides, didn't Microsoft pull out of the ARB a few years ago? They
> have little incentive to support OpenGL; it's a direct threat to them.

Agreed that it is a business decision, but lets just say it is a
strategic business decision and avoid the smoke screen about limited
resources.

Chris

--
E-Mail: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>