[gameprogrammer] Re: OpenGL reality check.

  • From: "Kevin Fields" <drunkendruid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:42:07 -0400

Nothing's forcing you to use that desktop. There's another desktop that doesn't use DirectX. I don't recall ever saying it's a good thing. I just said that I wish people would actually *read* official press releases instead of rumours, before they go off and complain about something they failed to take the time to get facts for. I, personally, don't use DirectX. I'm an OpenGL programmer, and would hate to see it die; but, I was stating what I've read from press releases from Microsoft and from DirectX MVPs.

Now, I really don't see OpenGL going away any time soon, since it's expanding onto so many devices and consoles. As long as people want to use it, OpenGL will be around. And the card manufacturers would likely want to keep it going. However, should that happen, it's a part of technology's advancement, and if you want to keep up with the technology, you'll either have to adapt, or find a new field. It's harsh; but, it's the truth. Either way, I'll adapt to what's available to me.

From: Ken Johnson <johnsk16@xxxxxxxxx>
To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gameprogrammer] Re: OpenGL reality check.
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 14:24:10 -0700

So they are going to support their own API, yea ok, makes sense. But
to feed OpenGL calls through DirectX for the vista desktop? They are
intentionally killing performance to force people who want to use the
new desktop to use DirectX or suffer performance penalties. I don't
know how you can sit there and say thats a good thing.