Re: [foxboro] FBM232 Modbus Setup Issues

  • From: "Johnson, David" <David.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 16:15:35 +0000

Maks,

To expound on what the others have already said, the FDSI driver not only
expects the registers you ask for to be there, but all of the intervening
registers.  Based on our lab testing, the FDSI will attempt to maximize
throughput by using one read request if it would be more efficient to do so.
So if I build IINs for registers 30001 and 30004 the driver will send one
command asking for 30001 for 4 bytes (30001, 30002, 30003, 30004) . This is
fine as long as the slave will respond to this.  Some slave devices do not
implement all the registers (this is not compliant with the Modbus "standard",
if there is such a thing) . So, even if 30001 and 30004 exist, the driver will
fault if 30002 or 30003 fail to respond to a read request.  If this happens you
have to use the xml files that the FDSI supports and build "transaction files"
(FBM224 lingo) for each contiguous data segment.  FireEye devices, Alstom
BlueLine, and many others require this type of work around.

Does that make sense?

Regards,
David