[softwarelist] Re: Unwanted font definitions

  • From: Keith Hopper <asgard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:51:58 +1200

Greetings,
> In message <4faf0642b8asgard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keith Hopper
> <asgard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >     I realise that I should have known this before - but didn't. When the
> >only font referred to in a document is NOT Trinity, OvnPro puts out a font
> >list (in a DDL file and a Postscript file anyway) including Trinity
> >Medium/Bold/Italic.

David responded, writing -

> There is a long running bug, where OPro thinks documents use fonts which
> they don't - it arises because OPro loses count, you know you once used
> Trinity in a document but deleted all the uses and OPro still sees it as
> used.

> One problem with this bug is that it can have many causes and even when
> some of the causes are fixed, old documents are not fixed.

> Incidentally there is also of course the situation where you do use
> Trinity, but you don't notice it - an empty frame somewhere.

> Saving the document as DDL will firstly let you see what fonts OPro
> thinks are used, but also will let you see where various fonts are used
> - notice the name given to the font, and then look for uses of that
> name.

> I think that save as DDL, reload DDL will recount the fonts.

> Plan B, is uninstall the font, load the document (OPro will complain
> about the missing font), then save the document.

     Unfortunately neither Plan A nor Plan B work. If I take the default
(empty) document, remove every reference to Trinity from every style - in
fact not setting font changes in any except the Body (which I set to
LondonA - an EFF font) - and save as default. If I load this saved default
and save as DDL then Trinity flavours appear in the font list (together
with the one for LondonA) - BUT nowhere else in the DDL document - which is
empty, of course! LondonA appears, as expected, in the Bodytext style.

     This does not appear to be a case of deleting fonts leaving something
around in memory which OvnPro writes out. I just load the default - save as
DDL - with the results I describe above. It doesn't matter even if I quit
and reload OvnPro between saving the default and loading it again.

     If I delete the unused font references from the DDL, quit OvnPro - and
reload the DDL file - then save it out again as DDL - the Trinity font
references appear again.

     Interesting! No?!

               Keith

--