[softwarelist] Re: Unwanted font definitions

  • From: Ray Dawson <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 16:41:20 +0100

Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 21 Jun 2008  Dr Alan Leighton <alan.leighton2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In message <JO3YanF3qPXIFwSF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >           David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Do a big update on the Riscos version and charge £50 or maybe a bit
> > more. I guess many would go for that. After all I pay for Easywriter
> > updates and only use it 5% of the time compared with OPro.
>
> > If you decide to go ahead I know people like Jim Nagel, VA, etc give
> > backing and free advertising. What do others think, can we have a
> > response?
>
> I'm definitely with Alan on this; David has consistently undersold
> himself! And in reply his posting, when he was wondering about what
> might have been different, perhaps attendance at shows might have made
> a difference? I'm sure many would have liked to thank him in person,
> and even buy him a drink :-)

I get the impression, from what David has said, that a RISC OS update
would require a lot more work as he is no longer geared up to RISC OS.
Even at £50 a head the financial return won't be anywhere near the cost of
programming hours.

As for the Windows version, perhaps a limited time version on a magazine
CD would be worth considering? Presumably not many Windows users visit the
OP website, as they have no reason to do so, but maybe using meta words
such as 'Word problem replacement' 'Serif Pageplus problem replacement'
etc might help :-)

On the Windows platform there is much too much competition with
established DTP applications for a high cost version of OP to exist. It
has to have something 'special' to make users want it instead of the
myriad of others. File portability is everything these days and, no matter
how good an app is, if it can't be read in Word or other major software,
it won't be used.

Cheers,

Ray D