[softwarelist] Re: Unwanted font definitions

  • From: Phillip Marsden <phillip.marsden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 11:36:55 +0100

charles wrote:
In article <4fb2cf5dcalists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>,
   Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In a dim and distant universe <b54dceb24f.alan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Dr Alan Leighton <alan.leighton2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> enlightened us thusly:

I would like to back Peter 100% in what he says. After watching the
program about Bill Gates yesterday I am so grateful for our operating
system and those who support it like David.

Yeah. That programme made me feel sick. The guy is a megalomaniac
psychopath - and thinks he can buy appreciation by chucking money at
charities. My disliking for him just reached new heights!

Just because you dislike Microsoft products is no reason to dismiss Gates'
donations to charity.  A hundred years ago, Andrew Carnegie made a personal
fortune out of the steel industry in the USA and, on retiring, gave
millions* to charity.  He is considered a philanthropist.

* considered to be the equivalent of $4.3 billion at current prices

Although this thread has wandered somewhat from the original topic, I feel that I must respond and agree with Charles. My apologies to David Pilling for mis-using his forum.

I don't know what Alan Leighton had in mind, as his statement seemed a bit vague and woolly, but Paul Vigay's statement was very clear. It was the usual invective and it makes me wonder what world Paul is living in. The business tactics of Microsoft have been ruthless, but many companies have been like this in the past. Why single out Microsoft for special treatment?

It is quite possible that Bill Gates has been profoundly affected by his wife on the matter of charity. It is not proven that he is trying to buy a Nobel Peace Prize. That was simply the view of Robert Cringeley. If Bill Gates can make a difference in places such as Africa (where the majority of rulers are corrupt and milking money out of the country and from Aid donations) then more power to his elbow!

Update: Alan Leighton has made his position clearer in a later posting, and his position certainly does not match that of Paul.

--

Regards, Phillip Marsden

For quality bespoke acoustic guitars phillip.marsden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx