[softwarelist] Re: Unwanted font definitions

  • From: Keith Hopper <asgard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:08:40 +1200

In article <vJchrFCQ05VIFwne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> In message <4fb099961easgard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keith Hopper
> <asgard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

> >     Unfortunately neither Plan A nor Plan B work. If I take the default
> >(empty) document, remove every reference to Trinity from every style - in
> >fact not setting font changes in any except the Body (which I set to
> >LondonA - an EFF font) - and save as default. If I load this saved default
> >and save as DDL then Trinity flavours appear in the font list (together
> >with the one for LondonA) - BUT nowhere else in the DDL document - which is
> >empty, of course! LondonA appears, as expected, in the Bodytext style.

> You're right. I think the problem is that Trinity is a special case,
> when DDL is loaded a very basic document is created and the DDL then
> overwrites it, Trinity is the default font for that document. I don't
> understand why "flavours" of Trinity are used, in my test it is just one
> weight.

     The DDL file contains

// Text styles etc.

FONT_29e={font "Trinity.Medium.Italic"}
FONT_8f3b={font "Trinity.Medium"}
FONT_948e={font "Trinity.Bold"}
FONT_a99c={font "Londona"}

     I note with interest that others trying to print to PDF (I presume
with something like PDFMaker) are having similar problems to me. Sometimes
a document with LondonA will print, sometimes not and I think this is
something to do with the fonts generated in the Postscript.

> There is a case to be made that this doesn't matter - Trinity maps to
> Times which is a font I assume is present in all PostScript printers and
> does not need to be saved in the PostScript. However for you maybe it
> comes back to the weights - all the weights being used, and I guess you
> having an odd version of the font installed i.e. one with a smallcaps
> weight.

[snip]

> Maybe on RISC OS !FontPrint would be a quick fix, use it to map
> Trinity.SmallCaps to Trinity.Italic, a harmless reference will be added
> to your PostScript.

     An interesting suggestion. I hadn't come across !FontPrint before. I
have, however, temporarily removed the Smallcaps fonts until the PDF
printing problem (which certainly doesn't like those 'flavours') is
resolved.

--
Inspired!