[Wittrs] Re: Defining Consciousness -- Can we, and if so what is it?

  • From: "Cayuse" <z.z7@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 07:22:37 +0100

Stuart wrote:
>If you want to insist that he never rejected such an idea, despite his
>explicit statements and the direction of his later work, but that he merely
>added other stuff (while declining to make the case for that when asked to), I
>guess we've hit a brick wall. Whatever you have in mind by "consciousness", it
>seems to have little in common with what I have in mind . . . my usages. That
>we may both use the same words to a certain extent doesn't indicate we have
>the same things in mind after all or that we are really talking about the same
>things.

You keep missing the point Stuart. I'm talking about Nagel's use of the word
consciousness, and how it resonates with some of the text in the TLP,
regardless of how W changed his views, since this is pertinenet to the question
you ask in the subject line. If you want to discuss how W changed his views
then perhaps you should start a thread with a more suitable title.

> If it is unintelligible to speak of how consciousness is produced by brains,
> on your view, I would humbly suggest that that seems to be a function of the
> fact that you have something very different than I do in mind by
> "consciousness". Given that and given our inability to move closer on
> meanings, I guess there's no sense trying to go on. I tip my hat to you and
> invite you to continue but I'm afraid I am unlikely at this point to continue
> with you.

If Nagel's use of the word consciousness is opaque to you then you're quite
right to do so.