[Wittrs] Re: Defining Consciousness -- Can we, and if so what is it?

  • From: "Stuart W. Mirsky" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 19:08:24 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cayuse" <z.z7@...> wrote:

> Stuart wrote:
> > Cayuse wrote:
> >>
> >> That all depends on how you're using the word "mind". If you're using it
> >> in a behaviorist sense then the concept of the microcosm has nothing to do
> >> with it at all. If you're taking it to be synonymous with the microcosm,
> >> then you are trying to understand how brains make microcosms.
> >
> > But I never mentioned microcosms and, in fact, specifically reject that
> > usage. So what has my claim about brains and minds to do with that?
>
> If you're using the word mind in a behaviorist sense then the concept of the
> microcosm has nothing to do with it at all. But in that case neither has it
> anything to do with the use that Nagel makes of the word consciousness.

I'm using "mind" as we normally do: "When I think of X, I have X in mind"; "My
mind is all confused"; "I have a certain image in my mind"; "A person who is
brain dead no longer gives evidence of having a mind"; etc.

> >> Actions are observable, as is any other behavioral trait you wish to
> >> mention. What I don't understand is how consciousness (or any aspect of
> >> it) can be observed.
> <snip>
> >> Thoughts (etc.) take their place in the microcosm, but I don't know what
> >> it means to speak of an observer of thoughts (etc.)
> >
> > We observe them, albeit not with our sensory apparatus but by attending to
> > them (which may include attending to our sensory inputs).
>
> What is this "me" that putatively "observes thoughts"?

The "I" who is speaking about it.

> >> I don't know how you can make any such claim about consciousness when the
> >> idea has not been derived from empirical data (unless you're stipulating
> >> it to be a behavioral trait).
> >
> > Do you think consciousness happens without brains (or some equivalent)?
>
> It would be nonsensical to make any such claim.

Yes because it goes against every bit of evidence we currently have. Is it
"nonsensical" in the same way to to say that brains produce or cause minds?

> > I'm being called away. Any further responses will have to wait. Sorry but
> > the world (not the microcosm) beckons.
>
> Strange. You didn't have to hit the "send" button until you'd finished.

No, the way I work I do (I was running late for a promised task). As it happens
I'm off again now for the rest of the day (just managed to stop back in for a
half hour). Summers are tough, especially when wives are home and grandchildren
are visiting. Will try for more thorough response later tonight if I get back
early enough. If you think there's amything specific that I missed that you
would have liked a response on (though it's hard to see why since we seem to be
talking from different ends of a very long spectrum) just indicate it and I'll
try to do better later on.

SWM