[Wittrs] Re: Defining Consciousness -- Can we, and if so what is it?

  • From: "Stuart W. Mirsky" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 04:12:56 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cayuse" <z.z7@...> wrote:

> Stuart wrote:
> > Cayuse wrote:
> >> This misses my point that correlation and causation differ. If they were
> >> synonymous then it would make no difference whether we say that brain
> >> activity causes consciousness or that consciousness causes brain activity,
> >> just as it makes no difference whether we say that brain activity is
> >> correlated with consciousness or that consciousness is correlated with
> >> brain activity. And this brings me back full circle: there is no
> >> justification for any claim the brain activity causes consciousness; only
> >> a claim for correlation.
> >
> > Of course they differ. In the real world, as part of how we interact with
> > it, that difference is important since it enables us to take instances of
> > correlation, in certain contexts, as evidence of causation.
>
> I'm at a loss to know how correlation can be considered "evidence" for
> causation.

Why? It's always treated as evidence of something. Correlation either shows a
strong or a weak relation and under certain circumstances it is causation. When
we do a regression analysis we are looking for the factors that exert the
strongest influences on the effects we are measuring. The strongest influences
of course are ultimately the causative ones.

We can see correlation because it's a statistical factor. No, we don't see it
like we see a rock or tree but we see it in the results of things, the
outcomes. But we don't see causation. THAT is a concept we apply under certain
circumstances. The occurrence of correlations beyond a certain degree or
strength level indicates when we are to apply "casuation" as the relevant
explanation.

> > Thus we look for what fits. Brain causes mind fits better with the world as
> > we experience it than the other way around.
>
> To presume that brain activity is the cause of consciousness amounts to
> nothing more than the adoption of a prejudice (as it would to presume that
> consciousness is the cause of brain activity).

It isn't a "presumption" in isolation but a judgment that fits with the picture
of the world around us. Our picture of the world is conditioned by that world,
of course (the laws of physics -- whether those we know or some others we have
yet to discover) and by what we are and are capable of experiencing. We have
two basic intuitions about mind and the world. One relates to the way the world
appears to us. (Minds always depend on sound working brains and not vice
versa.) The other to the way mind appears to us. (Mind is not a physical
something and appears to include everything we can know or say about the world.)

It is possible to go with either intuition and there is no knock-down, drag-out
argument for one over the other. Wittgenstein saw that that doesn't matter in
the end. The world is as we find it. When you're acting in the world (as
opposed to dreaming or introspecting) you don't act as though you think the
world isn't real and that for a very good reason. If you did you would have
lots of problems (like getting hit by very real cars if you aren't treating
them as real when you cross the street). If you're doing science, you don't
gain much by taking an idealist stand on things. Wishing don't make things so.
So you play by the rules of the world, as you do most of the time (except,
perhaps, in some religious or metaphysical contexts when it doesn't much matter
physically).

Well should we take an idealist or dualist stance anyway? Nothing prevents it
because both are perfectly consistent with the way the world works (that is
their point, to explain everything as it is). But what is gained if it doesn't
help you in the world (except maybe in some psychological way)?

> > If they were just the same then the one could not be evidence for the other.
>
> If they were just the same then we wouldn't even be talking about a
> correlation.

A a correlation is a description of a kind of relation we expect to see if a
causative agent is in the mix. When we get correlations of a certain level,
they are evidence of causation. What else could causation be? How else would
you expect to know it?

> >> The possibility is not conditional upon disregarding his statement in the
> >> preface to the PI.
> >
> > No, but it all serves as strong evidence against such an interpretation. I
> > wonder how many others here, with some background in Wittgenstein, take it
> > as you do? It might be interesting to hear from some other quarters as it
> > wouldn't be the first time I had something of Wittgenstein's wrong. But I
> > have to say that it does seem rather perverse to me to insist on
> > disregarding the radical turn he seems to have taken (and which is
> > generally held by Wittgenstein readers and commentators) and to hang onto a
> > way of philosophizing and to claims he made that he seems to have obviously
> > cast aside.
>

> There's plenty of evidence that the later W cast aside some of the views he
> held at the time of writing the TLP, but I'm not yet aware of any evidence
> that his views on the microcosm fall into that category.

His whole later work was directed at restoring clarity, at calling us back to
ordinary language. We have already seen that he stopped referring to "the
microcosm" or equating it with what it means to be a subject and that is
evidence. But you have said that that omission is because he just knew there
was nothing more to be said about it (though he had said something about it
before). On your view, having written the TLP he thereafter tossed away that
ladder and no longer had any reason to speak of it. Yet, his later work is
aimed at avoiding just such attenuated usages, i.e., replacing ordinary terms
with high-falutin sounding words to elevate them to some special status as
philosophical terms for the purpose of making erudite references. So I am
suggesting that the whole idea of speaking of "the microcosm" in lieu of terms
like "subject" or "self" was contrary to his whole later project.

Indeed, he doesn't even speak much about subjects or selves in his later work
because he stops addressing these somewhat rarified concepts in favor of
sticking with the ordinary things we do and say. He does that to constantly
break the spell of philosophizing and dissolve the problems into the linguistic
puzzles he takes them mostly to be. The evidence you seek lies in a
consideration of the entire tenor and approach of his later work.

> > It might make for an interesting paper though. Have you thought of making
> > the case for this in detail, i.e., the idea that he did not, in fact, leave
> > the TLP behind but merely supplemented it with some later work (as most
> > philosophers do)? In essence this would be to argue that there were not at
> > least two distinct Wittgensteinian philosophies but just one.
>

> This is not my primary interest but merely a peripheral issue.

Well, frankly, I think you are mistaken to believe that this was not part of
the difference between the earlier and later work and that the later work did
not supercede and replace the earlier for him in terms of this business about
"the microcosm". But I have the feeling I will not convince you so I guess I
shall pass on any further efforts to do so.

What is your primary interest then?

SWM