[Wittrs] Re: Defining Consciousness -- Can we, and if so what is it?

  • From: "Stuart W. Mirsky" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 01:26:46 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cayuse" <z.z7@...> wrote:

> Stuart wrote:
> > Cayuse wrote:

> >> If you're using the word mind in a behaviorist sense then the concept of
> >> the microcosm has nothing to do with it at all. But in that case neither
> >> has it anything to do with the use that Nagel makes of the word
> >> consciousness.
> >
> > I'm using "mind" as we normally do: "When I think of X, I have X in mind";
> > "My mind is all confused"; "I have a certain image in my mind"; "A person
> > who is brain dead no longer gives evidence of having a mind"; etc.
>

> Perhaps, then, you should start a thread entitled "Defining Mind -- Can we,
> and if so what is it?" and then you can go on to discuss how brains make
> minds. My interest is in consciousness, particularly as Nagel describes his
> use of the word, which I considered pertinent to this thread as described in
> the subject line.

I'm back now (as you can see). Will try to be relatively quick.

I use "mind" and "consciousness" in a linked way. A mind is sometimes conscious
(meaning aware) and sometimes not (meaning unaware). However what it always is
is determined by it's having certain features which we call, in the aggregate,
"consciousness" (and which are not necessarily coterminous with being
conscious, meaning being aware, since there are many aspects of our mind of
which we are not always aware).

So when I speak of "consciousness" I mean those features that minds have which
distinguish them from other things in the world, i.e., the features which
constitute what it means to be a subject to have what has elsewhere been dubbed
subjective experience.

How you got out of any of this "the microcosm", even granting Wittgenstein's
somewhat unarticulated use of THAT term in the TLP, still eludes me. But I'm
certainly prepared to entertain this variation. The problem is you aren't
willing to explain it except to say 1) Wittgenstein used it that time in the
TLP (and agree there's no record he ever did thereafter and 2) that it can have
no meaning because it has no grammar.

All well and good but then what's the point, in a discussion about
consciousness and mind in invoking the term and arguing for its equivalence
with, say, "consciousness"?

> >> What is this "me" that putatively "observes thoughts"?
> >
> > The "I" who is speaking about it.
>
> What is this "I" that is putatively "speaking about it"?

Each of us who is capable of subjectness in the typically human way knows
insofar as he or she can use language to speak about having experiences. What
you want to do, apparently, is have language justify itself but nothing could
be farther from the later Wittgenstein, another reason to conclude that he
recognized his use of a term like "microcosm" in that citation from the TLP was
part of his earlier error.

But let's unpack this a bit more. By "I" we usually mean the locus of
experiencing whatever is experienced. We have our experiences within a context
that includes various relations to the things around us (that we're
experiencing or conceptualizing, both in contemporary time and in a remembered
past and a projected future). The mind is certainly a very complex phenomenon
and the brain must be equally so to cause it. We can define that locus in
physical terms ("this body") or in mental terms ("this self"). We generally
agree that body and self are united though the self appears to mainly be a
sense of that which occurs within some mental framework, etc.

But you don't need me to say all this because all of this is to use language
for phenomena it was not really built up for and so there are lots of ways to
readjust the senses and uses and come up with paradoxes and confusions. But the
later Wittgenstein was focused on clearing up such confusions and so avoided
answering these kinds of questions and, instead, stuck to redirecting our
attention to language usage. And this is still another reason to conclude that
he abandoned terms like "the microcosm" not because he had touched some holy
grail and no longer needed to say more but because he came to realize that he
had touched a third rail of language and inadvertently perpetuated or amplified
the nonsense he was seeking to be rid of.

> >> It would be nonsensical to make any such claim.
> >
> > Yes because it goes against every bit of evidence we currently have.
>
> Since consciousness admits of no empirical evidence, there is nothing to go
> against.

Evertime we meet another person and interact with them and treat them as being
like us (rather than a rock or a cleverly bilt automaton) we have had empirical
evidence. No, it's not the sighting of some kind of mental object, some spirit,
some soul. But it is what our lnguage recognizes as consciousness in others.
And there is no reason to expect to sight a soul anywhere, a ghost in the
machine, mearly because we have a name to put on it. The fact that language is
constructed mainly to work in the public domain obliges us to make certain
allowances in these uses even if we often confuse ourselves by expecting to see
something entity-like when we speak of there being a consciousness or a mind.

> > Is it "nonsensical" in the same way to to say that brains produce or cause
> > minds?
>
> That all depends on how you're using the word "mind".

I've told you how I am. I am certainly NOT using it as a synonym for an
undefined and self-declared undefinable term like "the microcosm."

SWM