(VICT) Re: dogs in public question

  • From: "Ann Edie" <annedie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 00:39:57 -0400

Hi, Martha and Everyone,

If anyone has positively oriented, clicker-thought-based suggestions or
solutions for Martha's story, please go ahead and post them to the list.
Otherwise, focusing negatively on what other people or their dogs do in
public is definitely off-topic and not in the spirit of this list, so please
take the discussion off list.

For example, if you wish to tell Martha how you trained your guide to ignore
other dogs, or you want to describe behaviors which you have taught your dog
to perform which give non-aggressive and non-combative signals to the other
dog, that would be great.  It might also be good to give Martha suggestions
as to how we can train members of the general public, using positive
reinforcement based methods, to be respectful of the rights and needs of
blind people working their guide dogs in public places.  So if you have any
experiences or suggestions along these lines, those would be quite
appropriate for posting here.

Thank you.
Ann