(VICT) Re: dogs in public question

  • From: Megatartix <megatartix@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 15:50:35 +0200

Sandy,
I totally agree, but all this made me think of something that might
be worth sharing on this list.

I live in Milan, as most of you already know. In Italy people were
not used (and not required, most of the time) to pick up after their dogs.
Guide dog handlers, in most citiesand towns, are still not required to do.
My city - although it's the second in Italy for number of
inhabitants, and the first for business volume - has always been very
dirty, with many streets littered with dog "leavings".

The street next to mine was no exception, and that was particularly
bad, because there is an elementary school on it, and a small park
which is always full of young kids.

Then, a couple of years ago, I got a toilet harness for Pretty, and
trained her to use it. I taught her to find the garbage can
afterwards, to throws the bag away.

Many people observe me in silence; some ask questions, some
compliment us on our education.
But there is a more general result: more and more people are now
picking up, because they have probably been challenged by seeing
ablind person being so careful, so they have no excuses.
Pretty's succeeded where the local police and their fines  had failed...

Useless to say that I  "toilet-harness trained" Pretty with C/T!!!

Hugs and wags,
Ollie