[texbirds] Re: unwelcome news from Laguna Atascosa

  • From: Tim Brush <txbrush5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mtwoman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 08:55:07 -0500

to seek a solution, which was missing from the USFWS web-site (at least
that I could see; I am sometimes guilty of skimming). That is somewhat
reassuring and I hope some access compromise can be worked out. However, I
still feel that the public should have been consulted and options explored,
before announcing a closure to take effect in less than 2 months. What I am
most afraid of is that what folks do not see/experience they will not be as
interested in protecting (or adding to). Yes, some folks will take guided
tours, a few will bicycle (actually, I have serious concerns about bicycle
access and possible ocelot collisions, and almost no-one will
walk.  Lakeside Drive can be okay-good (sometimes excellent) for birds and
other wildlife, but doesn't usually offer a lot for the visitor to see.
   An interesting comparison is Santa Ana NWR, whose refuge drive was
formerly opened during daylight hours (was it 9 AM to 4 PM?) in low-usage
months. There was some concern about access when the drive was closed, but
the difference is that the vast majority of good birding areas at Santa Ana
are an easy to pretty easy walk from the visitors center, and there is
shade along many of the trails, extending effective usage times. I realize
that Laguna Atascosa is in a different ecosystem (and can't manufacture
shade) and is on a different scale, but would very much hope that some kind
of compromise can be reached.
   Regards and good birding,
Tim Brush
Edinburg, TX