[texbirds] Closure of the best road at Laguna Atascosa NWR

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 07:02:31 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I have visited the refuge sixteen times since I moved to Texas in 1998.  The
best part of every single visit, hands down, was the drive along the Bayside
Loop.  While I understand the need to protect the ocelots, I would like to see
a bit more in the way of detail about these deaths as  the only vehicles I have
ever seen speeding on the Bayside Lopp were NWR vehicles and Border Patrol -
and I very much doubt the road will be closed to them.  I suppose that there
are birders who speed but, given the number of stops that simply HAVE TO be
made on this route, I sincerely doubt that birders or any kind of nature
tourists were involved in these deaths.  I doubt that I have ever topped the
speed limit on this route during any of my visits - there is just too much to
look at.  The route is too long to walk for most folk, bicycling might be
pleasant (for some of us) but it would be nice if they came up with a way to
provide visitors with access to rental
 or loaner bikes (I've seen this in other countries - we ought to be able to
manage it here), and tours are pretty damn unpleasant for folk who are
interested in real crittering.

One less place to visit, I guess.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock