[texbirds] unwelcome news from Laguna Atascosa

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 19:12:29 -0700 (PDT)

Staff at Laguna Atascosa NWR informed us, via a posting on Texbirds this
afternoon, that from Oct. 15 onwards the Bayside auto loop will be closed to
private vehicle traffic. The staff representative cited the deaths of two
ocelots in recent years from vehicular traffic on the loop and the recent
findings that ocelots are frequently crossing the road and are moving about in
close proximity to the loop road, day and night.

The bayside driving loop has exposed thousands of South Texas visitors to an
unparalleled immersion in prairie, thornscrub and littoral habitats and the
wildlife that dwells there. I know of no other place like it in the federal NWR
system. I am proud of this resource, and I often urge visitors to avail
themselves of it. This decision to effectively bar thousands of visitors from
enjoying this resource, however, is poor conservation policy and even worse
public policy.

Refuge staff now decrees the loop road will be open only to cyclists, walkers
and scheduled guided tours. I am one of many visitors who is of a certain age
and physical condition who cannot walk or bicycle 13 miles in the South Texas
heat to appreciate the natural wonders of the refuge. The bus or tram tours,
while well meaning, are no substitute to the slow-paced, measured and often
solitary meanderings through the refuge that we have cherished over the years.
What about the rest of us who cannot walk or bike the loop?? Those experiences
will be lost forever if this policy is left to stand.

Why was the public not consulted before such drastic changes were foisted upon
us? There are indeed alternatives short of this harsh measure. How about more
limited hours, say 9 am to 3 pm, and slower speed limits, say 5 mph instead of
10 mph, and more speed bumps? How about more time spent on enforcing the
measures designed to protect the ocelots? And why should conservation-minded
birders, all of whom would stand up to be counted for protecting these rare and
beautiful mammals, be punished collectively for the reckless actions of a
thoughtless few?

National parks and wildlife refuges rest on a bargain with the public. We
support them through our taxes, our volunteerism and the legislation that
creates and maintains them in exchange for the enjoyment for all of these
precious resources. This action at Laguna Atascosa must not stand. Join with me
in whatever way you are comfortable with in opposing this measure. I will start
with conversations with the offices of Rep. Filemon Vela and our two U.S.
senators. I hope the birding community takes notice and acts with me. I hope
the officials at Laguna Atascosa and others involved in this decision
reconsider.

Bob Becker
Rancho Viejo