[texbirds] Re: unwelcome news from Laguna Atascosa

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "DWA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <DWA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 11:08:08 -0400

Paul et al -

While I think that your last two sentences certainly have merit, I think that
they fail the reality check of these times - if key wildlife viewing areas of
NWRs are out of bounds, those NWRs run the risk of becoming "out of sight, out
of mind".   In these days of government cutbacks and budget fights in
Washington, a NWR without public access and support may well lose all funding
for habitat management.   That would be bad.   Heck, they even could get sold
off into private hands - that would be worse.

My first trip to S TX was in February, 1981, as my buddy and I drove into the
parking lot at Laguna Atascosa at about 1am, where we slept in the car until we
were awakened by our lifer Great Kiskadees.   A much more satisfying wakeup
than "cock-a-doodle-doo"!    we investigated the area around the car, then
started it up and headed for the Wildlife Drive.   It was closed for road
reconstruction - we were heartbroken.    Very reluctantly we pulled out the
Lane Guide to see where else we could go birding for the morning, as we had
planned to do Laguna until mid-day and then head for Santa Ana.   It was 17
years later that I was finally able to tour the Drive.

Clay Taylor
Swarovski Optik North America, Inc.
Naturalist Market Manager
800-426-3089  x2959
Cell 401-965-9064
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This communication may contain information that is legally privileged,
confidential or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient,
please note that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. Anyone who receives this message in error
should notify the sender immediately by telephone or by return e-mail and
delete this communication entirely from his or her computer.