[texbirds] High Island 9/30/13

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 22:10:06 -0400 (EDT)

After seeing the two Mourning Warblers reported at Smith Oaks I headed
there to try and add one to my life list today. I hit Boy Scout Woods first for
 just a few minutes and it was pretty quite. Had a single Wilson's Warbler,
Brown  Thrasher and a couple of Gray Catbirds there and of course several
Ruby-throated  Hummingbirds.

Then I spent almost two and a half hours at Smith Oaks and it was a little
better over there. I was greeted just inside the back entrance by a very
nice  Canada Warbler. I eventually found Magnolia, Hooded, Canada, and A
Redstart. I  had maybe 7 White-eyed Vireos with several of them being dark eyed
juveniles, 2  Red-eyed Vireos, Brown Thrashers, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Belted
Kingfisher,  Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and a very pretty juvenile Osprey. I
actually thought for  a while I had seen something I had never seen before.
This
young Osprey flew up  onto a dead tree limb holding something in it's foot.
It looked like a bird so I  took several pictures and when I blew them up at
home it turns out it is a fish  that the tail is so shredded  it looks like
tail feathers.

No Mourning Warblers though!

4 pictures all from Smith Oaks.
http://smu.gs/1bYvDSt