[TechAssist] Re: Support Issues

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:44:40 -0400

I got a phone call from some guy hundreds of miles away from me,
wondering about a certain computer monitor I posted a fix for on Tech
Assist. I only had my fax number in the sig. file so he used the Canada
411 on- line phone number look-up and with my address info in my sig
file, was able to obtain my phone number. I have never been happy that
Google gets these messages but this really p**d me off. From now on,
neither my phone number or fax number will appear in my sig. file. I
suppose I should eliminate my city too but I hate to do that.

How long does Google keep each email on record? I hope it's as short a
time period as possible. Why can't Tech Assist stop that from happening?

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984
email: gary (at) number63.ca

Teltek3 wrote:

> Jeff;
> This another reason to remove your Phone number from your address list. As
> you are aware, just about all these emails can be found on Google. Certainly
> having your Business or Fax number in each email, is not good advertising,
> and it reaches alot of people that were never meant to receive it. I think
> this is one of the reasons Clint gets so much "Spam" he has about 10
> different email addresses in his Signature file..so it's little wonder.
>     I feel..besides the guys on TechAssist and your list, the emails sent
> should be of no concern to anyone. But as you know, something you wrote a
> year ago, will come back to bite your ass (or is it axx) on Google.
>
> -Ed-
> Ed Gaidies
> Tel-Tek Electronics
> Ontario-Canada