[TechAssist] Re: 220v

  • From: Gene Bartle <hemi426_56443@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:38:54 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,
The 3rd wire in american residential systems (non
3-phase) is the nuetral wire. It is a current carrying
conductor but is also at ground potential. That is why
our system is considered to be more dangerous -
because it is referenced to ground, but the neutral
is NOT a ground wire, and the ground wire is NOT to
carry current (except in emergencies). To get a shock,
we need only to be touching some kind of grounded
surface (commonly available) and one live wire.

To the best of my knowledge, the 220 volt systems in
other countries are not referenced to ground potential
and would be similar to us techs using our isolation
transformers - you would need to make contact with
both live conductors to get a shock.
Gene Bartle
(hemi426_56443)
Tom,s TV (tomstv.com)
25 NE Washington St
Brainerd, MN 56401

--- Chris Gorsch <cgorsch@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Damon, this differs with Power suppliers, I live
> in the suburbs of
> Central Louisiana and we"re supplied by a Rural
> Electric Co. They deliver 3
> wire 220 to homes, The 3rd wire is a large
> unshielded wire. Most Main fuse
> boxes use both sides to gnd
> to balance the load. If 220 is needed then it is
> delivered from both sides
> and there is a neutral  (gnd) also used. the
> receptacles have different
> forms depending on how much current is demanded. My
> neighbor had a large
> workshop where he welded among other things and he
> had a special line run to
> supply him with 3 phase current for large motors,
> etc. Hope this clears some
> of the confusion about USA power, European is
> different depending on which
> country U visit. Wal-Mart supplies a travel kit with
> adaptors for all
> counties U might visit.
> Ski
> BLESS AMERICA, PLEASE GOD!
> SKI-CHRIS GORSCH Retired Chris'TV/VCR Serv.
> ZACHARY, LA.
> cgorsch@xxxxxxx  If Replying, Please Include Copy of
> Message
> "Whatever it is the government does, sensible
> Americans would prefer that
> the government do it to somebody else."-- PJ Orourke

=== message truncated ===

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
Submit A Repair Tip For Everyone Here: